Saturday, February 20, 2010

Self diagnosing is a bad idea!

My dad is out of the hospital and hopefully doing ok but they never found out where the bleeding came from. My parents left the hospital before finding out exactly what was causing the problem. My parents think they can take care of it themselves and that they are qualified to treat him with their own methods. These methods are usually found by watching Oprah or 20/20 or something else and applying only those aspects they feel will fit into their little box. So, my dad is not "fixed" and I am worried when the meds wear off that have stopped the bleeding that it will start all over again. While I think it is good to be aware and question what the doctors say, self diagnosing and treating is a BAD idea! My parents thought my dad was having a heart attack and gave him aspirin and used a nitroglycerin patch obtained through Mexico and it almost killed him. With his internal bleeding, the aspirin thinned his blood and the nitro patch dilated his arteries which made the bleeding worse. But, even though the doctor told my parents this, they still think what they did was the right course of action. My siblings and I are afraid we will be planning a funeral in the next few months because of their stubbornness.

ARRGH! Frustrating!

Anyway, onto something else, Jonathan did not make the baseball team this year and it was very upsetting how it was handled. The coach gave all of the kids an evaluation and it was really harsh. I think it was mean and insulting to the kids who did not make the team. What is to be gained by telling them they don't deserve any more of the coaches efforts or whatever. All that needed to be said was that their skills are not as good as this level or something to that effect. The evaluations to all of the kids were very critical and even demeaning. It makes me angry to have a respected coach be cruel! Jonathan already thought he probably would not make the team and was ok with it, but what was hard for him was the way it was done.

Anyway, he was given a letter saying he did not make the team and had to decide that night if he wanted to try out for volleyball, track or enroll in regular PE. If the choice was not made by the next day, an unexcused absence would be given. So little time and again, so rudely said. He had thought about going out for volleyball but after the harsh review, was concerned about putting himself out there again, especially because he doesn't know how to play volleyball. I convinced him to try because the worst thing that would happen is to end up in PE anyway. We bought a volleyball and I tried to teach him how to serve and block and bump, etc. He went to practice on Friday and then tryouts were the next Tuesday, after the school break. He gave it his best shot and when the team was chosen, the coaches told him he was the most improved kid in 4 days of playing they have seen and he made the JV team! He was so excited and feels that this is a better environment than the foul mouthed, disrespectful kids on the bball team so I am happy for him.

Anyway, that's been our past few days!

Oh, some of you wanted my recipe for the avocado salsa from the Progressive dinner (Sooo much fun!!) so I will post it on our recipe blog my sil started a little while ago. There is a link on my blog page to it.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Yeah for Jonathan! Glad you guys came last night :)

Leslie said...

Glad you posted to the Recipe blog...recipe sounds yummy but I can't eat avacado's. I love them but they don't agree with my stomach!!


I hope your dad recovers. It's no fun dealing with stuff like that!!

Anonymous said...

I love that Jonathan kept working hard and trying new things. I will keep praying for your dad. Keep your chin up my friend and let me know what I can do.

Anonymous said...

I love that Jonathan kept working hard and trying new things. I will keep praying for your dad. Keep your chin up my friend and let me know what I can do.