Friday, April 4, 2008

Strawberry Jam!!!

I love when I can find fresh strawberries for cheap! Then I can make the best homemade jam! My mil taught me how to make jam a few years ago and have been hooked on it since. It is so much better than the store bought stuff! I was able to purchase the strawberries at the Superstition Ranch Market for $1.99 a half flat!! 3 of those made 18 jars of jam! Soooo good. I am wishing I made some bread to go along with it.

My mom and two of my sisters came over and we got to work. We washed and pureed the strawberries and cooked for about 5 hours today. Felt like forever! We have a good time together, tho. In all, we made about 70 jars of jam today!! We went through so much sugar. Each batch takes 7 cups of sugar and 4 cups of berries and ends up with about 4 1/2 jars of jam. That's 15 batches and 105 cups of sugar. That's why I have a headache, too much sugar! Anyway, thanks to my mil for teaching me so much in the kitchen and thanks to my mom and sisters for coming over, cooking and cleaning up the disaster that was my kitchen when we finished!

Happy day to you all!!

3 comments:

Bryan Hooper said...

Ooohhh, and that jam is so good too. I love it when you make more jam, the homemade stuff is so much better tasting. Now we need some fresh homemade bread.

music lady said...

I fnished my last jar of homemade strawberry jam a couple of weeks ago and bought some store bought...it is just not as good!!! I guess Ineed to get some energy somewhere and make some more!
Glad that I could share my cooking knowledge with you. I learned a lot from my mom and then I did experiment for many years in my own kitchen. I love cook books.
Glad you had an uplifting day too.

Leslie said...

I too need to make some jam...Probably this week it will happen...

And some fresh homemade bread sounds good. I went to costco to get milk and happened to grab a thing of yeast and bread flower...so all I need now is your recipes..Hopefully this week will be a little calmer then last week!!

ps..did you know you could turn the word verification thingy off?