Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hard work and patience pays off!

While I wish the payoff was in the form of a good job for my husband, it's not. However, I am really proud of Jonathan and wanted to share why. He worked really hard to make the Shepherd Baseball team and was told by the coach early on that he wouldn't play very much but that if he worked really hard and never gave up that he would have a chance to play sometimes. He was really discouraged by this and it was really hard for him to go back the next day. He thought about quitting, but loves baseball and doesn't want to be a quitter. He went every day and worked as hard as he could and tried to always be positive. Not much changed for a while, but slowly the coach started putting Jonathan in the games as a pinch hitter or runner. Then he let him in at 1st base towards the end for an inning or two if the team was ahead. During this, he never gave up and always tried to get better. He would get down sometimes, but he always kept trying. Tuesday during batting practice, Jonathan hit a couple of home runs (over the fence) for the first time. He was so excited! Then at yesterday's game, coach told Jonathan he was starting as 1st baseman and against his old Smith team even! He was so happy about that. Jon didn't make any errors in the field and played the first 4 of 5 innings with 2 singles and got on base with a pitch that hit him in the calf (ouch!!). Shepherd won the game 14 to 3.

I just want him to know how proud I am of him for not giving up, even when he thought things would not get better. Times have been a little rough for him lately, in life as well as baseball. He has been such an example to me of enduring through everything. Never giving up. I have been so close to giving up so many times, but I know I can't and I won't. How can I when I have 5 amazing children and my best friend (my sweet hubby!) counting on me to keep going even when I feel like things won't ever change. Someday things will begin to look up and I have to be strong until they do. Even if it takes a really long time! So, thanks to my family and friends for always being strong for me that I may follow your examples! I look at so many of you and an strengthened by your courage. You are truly good and kind people! I love you all!

Here are a few pics to for you all to see Jon at first base, although this was the game before the Smith game. We couldn't make it to the Smith game. :(





I couldn't help throwing this pic in. Bryan was focusing on the field and Alex popped up there. He is fuzzy but the face he is making makes me laugh every time I see it! So I hope you laugh too!

Have a great day, everyone!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

That is a cute picture of Alex, made me laugh too! We need to get Darrin and John together sometime!

Jonathan said...

Haha thanks mom! That picture of Alex is funny!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jonathan! You have every reason to be proud of this kid. He really is a good one.