Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Culture Pass

Well, I heard about the Culture Pass that's being given out at the Library and I thought I would go and see if I could get passes to the zoo. Friday there is no school and the weather is nice so I wanted to do something fun! So I loaded up the kids and we went to the library on Tuesday morning. I had overdue books anyway, so I figured I wasn't wasting my time if they had no passes. Well, I get there and find out the passes are put out every Wed. morning as soon as they open and it is a first come first serve free for all. Sounds intimidating, but I figure I would try so that Friday would be something fun and different. I will have the kids I babysit too, so I wanted to change things up a bit and have some outside of my house fun!

Well, I get there this morning with my four boys in tow and see a pretty long line already. I am like, "Great! I hope there are plenty of passes!" Not so, I learn. One of the women in line in front of me tells me there are only 5 passes released for each place, including the zoo. Also, only one pass was allowed per card with each pass admitting 4 people. I am realizing that I am about the 30th person in line and thinking I am not going to get what I want, since I am hearing people in the front saying they are going for the zoo, too. So, I figure I am there and might as well just see what happens and then they open the doors. I grab the boys hands and tell them to stay close and don't let go! They were so awesome and stayed close and totally obeyed! They were probably a bit overwhelmed by the experience, I sure was! People just ran to the kiosk and started grabbing the passes not really looking at what they were for. The first pass I grabbed was for Cave Creek Museum and was like, "no, not even!" and went for the only one that said children anywhere! I got the Children's Museum of Phoenix. I figured that would have to do and got out of the melee! There were people grabbing 5 or 6 passes at a time and then choosing what they wanted. Kinda annoying, but I guess I don't blame them.

After you choose a pass, you have to wait in the customer service line to check the passes out that way and not in the kiosks to check out books. So then the line for that was pretty long and the boys had been good enough, so we went to the puzzle and toy section and played there until the line was gone. That was the best thing!! So I check out my pass (which is now just a small receipt looking thing) and am going to the Children's Museum of Phoenix on Friday with my friend Laurie! I am actually excited that I got this one instead of the zoo. I have never been there and some of the kids have been there on field trips and loved it. So, I will bring my camera and show you all about it! If anyone else wants to go, too, let me know! The more the merrier!
If anyone is curious about the program and what places are available to visit, I have put a link to the culture pass website at the bottom of the post.

Bye for now!

http://www.showup.com/culturepass

3 comments:

Leslie said...

what time are you going? I was thinking of going there but wouldnt be able to go till after noon!!

tiffany said...

Hey Michelle - I know that you are going to the museum now, but I have extra zoo passes that I can give you for when you want to go. I think I have at least 4. We have a year membership and they send extra passes along with it! Have fun at the museum...let me know how it is... we need to check it out too sometime!
Tiffany Lee

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you go to do something so fun on Friday. I have heard of those passes but I don't think I would have had the patience to stand in line. I am glad your patience paid off and guys got to have a good time. Can't wait to hear all about it.