Thursday, August 21, 2008

It's happened! And I thought I could avoid it!

We have been asked to speak in church. I was gonna screen my calls, okay maybe not really, but I felt like it. Instead of that, they asked Bryan when he was at Young Mens. That's not fair! The real kicker is the topic. They want Bryan to talk on tithing and me to talk on tithing also, with a little twist thrown in to torment and humiliate me. They want me to talk about saving for a rainy day!!!!!!!!!! Do they know anything about me at all?!?!?!?!?!? No, of course not, or they would have never asked me to talk about saving. Hmmm, lets see, couldn't they just kick a girl when she is down? No, they have to put me up there for public humiliation. I am not a good example of someone who can save, you have to actually have money to save it! I can do it if I absolutely must, but I am certainly not one to go and speak to others about it. So, they just ruined the rest of my week, and then some.

Yes, I am ornery and annoyed and feeling stupid to have been assigned this topic, but I can't help but to feel that the Lord isn't assigning me this topic to have His own personal laugh at my expense. Obviously I need to learn to live within the new budget we have and maybe some research into the subject will help. I don't know how to budget when there is just not enough to even pay the basic bills, let alone save. I do know that I never want to be in this position again, and that we won't always be like this. The only way to prevent the utter loss of everything I have again is to save. I know this and will be the first one to admit it, but I am feeling so embarrassed to have to go and speak about it. It is a topic that is to raw right now. So, thanks to my new ward for making me feel soooo comfortable! I will shut up now and stop complaining, at least out loud. I am still whining in my head!

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Lol that topic really sucks. Just try to make the best of it.

:)

Leslie said...

Well, its kind of like when the bishop told us we needed to take a class on how to budget...We know how...but we DONT.

So you base your talk off of what you know what we should do.

Do as I say, not what I do...

I didnt mention in my talk last sunday how much I yell at my kids and my husband. How frustrated I get with the dumbest things.

I am sure your talk will be great!!

music lady said...

That is a hard subject but... just remember many people are struggling. I have a hard time saving money too. Maybe you can talk about how to be happy during struggles. Talk about saving pennies and going to the store and going to that fun machine at a time when you run out of other money. Maybe tie it over to other spiritual subjects like saving up spiritually so you can be strong when the storms come. I don't know.... Go to church talks and even President Hinckly said something somewhere that we cannot always save and sometimes the savings are used. Don't beat yourself up though. We would all save if we had extra money to save. Also, even though you didn't have that big savings, by paying that tithing has kept you out of living in a tent or car and you had to find ways to get food. There was help! It is hard to accept it when we are down but we always remember that the Lord is on our side! SMILE!

Jeremy said...

Yikes... only because it is not me assigned that topic can I say this... Maybe it's time for some serious soul searching????

Personally I am done living outside of our means. Until I and those in my family can get past the spoiled sad selfish attitudes we allow ourselves to have when we have to sacrifice and go without, then we are not going to be successful.

I am not pointing any fingers, so no one better take my comment personal. I am speaking in general and maybe my comments along with those of others will help you to prepare your talk.

Unfortunately, I have come to base my happiness off of my material well being instead of my spiritual well being. And the worst part is that life around me is going to be miserable until I can get past the lack of self mastery and reverse my spending habits by changing them into savings habits. It's easy to talk about in theory but near impossible to emplement in real life. About the only way I can look at it is like slamming on the brakes. We have to stop justifying why it is ok to spend the money here and there and start reminding ourselves that we never know when the next rainy day will arrive.

My best friend from high school came from a family that was better off than my family but when it came to wanting to go see a movie he would never be willing to go to the newest releases because of how much the tickets were. He would only be willing to go to the Dollar theaters. I remember how frustrating that was especially when I really wanted to go see a newer movie and he would not budge to the point that even if I offered to pay he still was unwilling to go usually. I now see how that frugal mentality lends itself to the ability to save.

The other huge side to it all is patience. You could easily focus on the topic of how it really is not just selfishness but a "selfish impatience" that drives most of us to rationalize and justify when we could just as easily go without.

Anyhow, good luck...